Nerja - and Nearby Frigiliana

Greg wanted to record me saying no more traveling with kids - a joke I was making the other night at dinner. I couldn't remember exactly what he recorded - but now we won't forget it ... Mercedes automatically connects to his phone and repeats the voice recording. "I love you!" We hear over and over each time we start the car, lol!

If you spend a week in Nerja, on the country's southern Mediterranean coast, and don't want to just sit on the beautiful beach and enjoy the plentiful town, there are many day-trips you can take. Within distance are Granada, Malaga, Ronda, Cordoba, and Sevilla. (My family are not day-trippers so we stayed in them instead.) Very close are the Nerja caves, Rio Chillar, and Frigiliana. Mi familia obliged me with a morning in Frigiliana.



Frigiliana is yet another of Spain's picturesque whitewashed villages. Of the ones we have visited, this one is the quaintest - and I feel like we are treading on the local's doorsteps. I learn that it was painted in white lime to sterilize the town after 40% died from the plague in the 18th century. Since white reflects the sun and keeps things cool, now it must be painted white.

Frigiliana is yet another charming whitewashed village

Frigiliana is incredibly picturesque 

We went to Frigiliana too early for pictures without the crowds

Other than our brief outing, all of our time has been spent within Nerja. It's actually a recommendable beach town. My guess is the tourists are a collection of 50% Spanish/ 50% British - which means the locals speak more English here than our other stops. Anyway, the beach is pristine and I like the huge variety of shops and eateries. I'm really happy with this coastal town!

I'm so happy a place opens for coffee at 7am!  Needless to say, Greg and I visit Cafe Bar Las Cuatro Esquinas every morning. 

Our apartment is on this pedestrian street - there are many pedestrian streets in Nerja

Nerja's Balcon de Europa

Finally, paella

The paella from Ayo's on Burriana Beach is famous and only €8 (all you can eat) - cooked in a massive paella pan!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving the World’s Deadliest Walkway - Caminito del Rey

Peñiscola